We are starting a warming trend this morning that will take us into the day Friday. AND, it will probably be in the 60s Monday. So it is with great regret that I must blog about the possibility of snow Saturday into Saturday night.
Here’s the bottom line right up front: This forecast is very tricky right now and confidence is not high. I can see where we get no accumulating snow and I can see where we get a few inches. It’s just too early, with too many variables, to have a higher degree of confidence this morning. Confidence in the forecast will grow this afternoon and tomorrow.
So, here’s a peek “behind the curtain”. Here’s why confidence is low.
But what TYPE of precipitation? Probably a cold rain, but snow and/or mixed precipitation may be nearby to the west. Here’s the NAM model precipitation snapshot in the afternoon: Notice the snow is pretty close by.
As precipitation starts falling and the atmosphere cools, I think the odds of seeing snow go up as the day wears on. So, while it probably will not START as snow, a changeover to snow seems likely at some point. But, the system will be pulling away. How much moisture will be left when it is cold enough to snow?? That’s a big question, and one I am not sure of the answer of.
A look at some of the snow accumulation forecast on the most recent models:
In these tough forecast situations, “ensemble” models can be of great help. The “initial conditions” (temperature, wind, etc.) are tweaked many times and with each tweak the model is run again. If the tweaks result in very different outcomes, the forecast confidence is lower. If the outcomes are similar, you tend to be more confident.
Anyway, here’s the SREF ensemble model’s snow forecast: There are a couple of “stragglers” that give us 3-4″, but most of the members of this model give us less than an inch. Many of the lines are clustered at ZERO. The average of all 21 members is a bit less than an inch.
My suspicion is that these odds are too high. BUT, I am not ready to discount those ideas yet. We will see what this afternoon’s models have to say. Right now I lean toward a minor snow accumulation, maybe a coating to an inch or two (still too much for late March!!), but as I said at the top….confidence is not high.
Who wants to be a meteorologist??? Haha.
Thanks for reading.